Monday, June 21, 2010

Welcome to the Desert

Sweat. There may not be much water in the desert, but there is definitely a lot of sweat.

Thanks to Jeremy (aka Opie) at Go Honda my car is up and running again! Thanks Jeremy!!!

Saturday was a long day of driving from Boulder, CO to Mesquite, NV.. Lots of beautiful country. From the high mountains in Colorado to the red desert of Utah. Sun, tunes, books on CD (thanks to John) and lots of miles.

There is something liberating and somewhat distinctly American about road trips. I've lived in Europe, and although I loved the experience, the place just isn't that big. There just aren't that many places on earth where you can get in your car and drive for days without having to use your passport or learn a foreign language. It's what brought me back from Europe, the longing for more space.

There is lots of space in Nevada from what I have seen so far. Lots of pretty barren landscape dotted by oasis's of civilization. The desert is beautiful, no doubt about it. The colors, especially in the morning and evenings, can be incredible. The stark nature of rock and cactus has an austere beauty also.

But the main characteristic of the desert on the solstice is the heat. It's incredible and relentless. I know that the 105 degrees it got up to here yesterday isn't as high as the mercury goes, but for a mountain girl it was quite a shock. I look around at all the new development in Mesquite and realize none of it would be happening if air conditioning hadn't been invented! Laying by the pool yesterday afternoon was wonderful, but eventually you have to seek respite from the sun and heat indoors.

Kodi keeps looking at me like I've lost my mind. Friday we were playing in the snow up by Diamond Lake in the Indian Peaks wilderness area above Nederland, CO., and now we're in the desert. He's definitely questioning my sanity. I'm thinking he would have been happier staying in Boulder, but I would have missed his company. I take him out here in the mornings before the heat sets in and again after the sun sets, but it's still too hot for his taste. He has also noticed a distinct lack of squirrels here. Squirrels and frisbees are like religion to Kodi. Although he finds the lizards that occasionally scurry across the sidewalk entertaining, they are not squirrels. Anyway, who has the energy to chase anything when you're in the desert wearing a fur coat? Hopefully he'll forgive me later this summer when we are back in Colorado camping and then up in Canada. I keep telling him about all the squirrels in Canada!

Tomorrow the whole family is piling in the car and heading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I'm the only one in our clan who has been to the North Rim before and I can't wait to see it again. With beautiful views, cooler temps and fewer people, the North Rim is my favorite.

For today though, I see a swimming pool in my immediate future. I did do a bike ride this morning. Even by 9am the temperature was climbing and I was melting. Sweat was pouring off me like a waterfall.

So there is water in the desert. It's just called sweat.









1 comment:

  1. Have a wonderful trip Kim! We will be checking in from time to time.
    -Delaney

    ReplyDelete