Friday, June 25, 2010

The Grand Canyon and a Slight Detour


I've been told the native Havasupi in the Four Corners region called the Grand Canyon the "navel of Mother Earth". I can see why they would give this place such an awe inspired name. This is my second visit to the North
Rim of the Canyon and I am just as overwhelmed by its beauty as the first time.

Unfortunately my family seems a little less impressed. They definitely enjoy the Grand Canyon, but they also just seem in a hurry to head back. It's OK though, I've learned a lot about my relationship with my family on this trip. I love them, but we a very different. We simply don't enjoy doing the same things, which make visits a little strained. But if everyone had the same interests the world would be a boring place indeed. So I'm very happy for them and their new house in Nevada, and it's time for me to continue my travels.

Nevada didn't suit Kodi at all. It was just too hot for a big dog. He kept looking at me like "why did you bring me here"? Even with regular walks in the heat and chasing lizards, he wasn't a happy guy. My original plan was to head to Sedona from Mesquite and have my parents watch him for a couple of weeks. It was really nice of them to offer to do this for me. It's just too hot this time of year in Sedona to camp with a dog. But ultimately I decided he would be happier in Boulder. So yesterday I loaded up all my gear and spent 12 hours driving him back to Colorado. That means I have a 2 day trip starting Sunday to get down to Sedona, but Kodi is so happy to be in Colorado it's worth it.

I have to send out a huge THANK YOU to John and Uncle Mike for taking care of my best buddy while I'm off getting my Reiki Master in Sedona. They are my heroes! They say it takes a village to raise a child. Apparently it takes a village to raise a Kodi also. Thank goodness for the village!

It's nice for me also to be in a cooler climate for a couple of days. Tomorrow John and I are going to do a fun hike up to Red/Buffalo pass in Summit county. This will be just the first part of a long hike we want to do later in the summer from Silverthorne to Vail. It will be nice to be up high in the mountains. Of all the wonderful places I am fortunate enough to travel to, nothing beats the high country of Colorado for me.

Beautiful places. My life is filled with beautiful places. I am very grateful.

Next, Sedona, an amazingly beautiful and special place. The energy of Sedona is unique and it has been held as a sacred place since humans first came there. Just as the Havasupi held the Grand Canyon to be sacred.

I think the energy of these ancient, sacred places is just as important to mankind today as it was to ancient peoples. Possibly even more so. With our lives of smart phones and Wii games, sometimes we lose connection to the rhythm of Mother Nature. Spending time in the sacred beauty of nature restores this connection.

That is what I am hoping for this summer. To get back in touch with the rhythm of nature, and ultimately the rhythm of my life.








No comments:

Post a Comment