Thursday, June 17, 2010

Getting Started

Tom Petty wrote a song that said "waiting is the hardest part". I'm trying to leave on the first leg of my summer travels on Saturday, but right now I'm in a bit of a holding pattern.

Luckily my friend John is letting me stay at his place in Boulder. Boulder is fun and the weather has been beautiful. It's the kind to place you can ride your bike to just about anywhere, which is especially good right now since I've had to put my car in the shop. Murphy's Law right? Getting ready to take a summer-long road trip and my car decides it needs some attention. I'm just grateful it happened now, and not in the middle of nowhere on the road. Hopefully it will be all fixed up by Friday and I can leave on Saturday as planned.

The first leg of my journey will take me to Mesquite, Nevada to visit my parents. They just moved to Mesquite this month, and the timing is perfect since Sunday is Father's day. I can't remember the last time I was able to visit my dad on Father's day. My brother is also in Nevada, so it will be nice to have the whole family together. I have to admit, I'm a little afraid of the heat. I checked the forecast yesterday and it's looking like 100 degrees and lots of sun while I'm there. For a mountain girl like me, that sounds like visiting the surface of the sun! Sounds like a great time to lay by the pool and work on my tan.

I'm not particularly good at just sitting around. That's one of the reasons I decided to take the summer off. I want to learn to be a little quieter, a little more still. I normally fill my time with projects and to do lists. I want to get to know who I am when I'm not taking care of everyone and everything else. I'm curious to find out what happens when I take all the giving energy that I put out into the universe and focus it back on myself. I know it sounds a little selfish, but sometimes a little selfish is what we all need.

Waiting sometimes is the hardest part. Then again, maybe that's when the best stuff happens.





1 comment:

  1. Nice blog sissy. Looking forward to seeing you on the surface of the sun. It will only be in the 90's when you get here on Saturday. Hope you get your car fixed in time.

    ReplyDelete