Friday, July 2, 2010

Taylor's Mural



This is going to be a little back track.

Before I left on my journeys this summer, I had an opportunity to do a fun project for a friend of mine. My friend Taylor just turned 2 in May. For her birthday this year her "Auntie" decided to make
a mural for her.



After discussing ideas with her parents, Robin and Brad, we chose
Colorado wildflowers. We are certainly blessed with an abundance of summer wildflowers in the high country, so we picked these for Taylor's mural.

Starting from an assortment of photographs, I made a black and white sketch to use as a reference for the mural. After taping the area off, I painted a border and then used a faux finish for the mural's background. Thanks to my friend Randy for teaching me this particular finish! From there I sketched the flowers in freehand, then painted them in by building up layers of color.



I think the end result turned out great! There are still a few more details to add (hummingbirds and dragonflies), but I probably won't get to these until fall. Taylor loves her new bedroom, and Mom and Dad are pretty happy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment