Saturday, July 3, 2010

High Camp-A week in Sedona


I've found the secret to happiness in the desert... stay near water. Yesterday I spent a blissful afternoon at Red Rock Crossing in Sedona. Laying on the red rock in the sun, and just when I was so hot I couldn't stand it any longer, jumping into the cold waters of Oak Creek. I don't think I've had so much fun swimming since I was a kid! I can see how someone could spend day after day doing just that sort of thing, just watching the summer clouds pass by.

My week in Sedona has been a wonderful experience so far. I've seen ancient ruins, visited vortexes, forded a river to explore caves, and lounged by Oak Creek. Of course there is always the special beauty of Sedona all around me.

My decision to try camping up on Schnebly Hill Road has saved me! I think I would be suffering with the heat if I was still sleeping in it every night. Instead at the end of the day I get to go up a couple of thousand feet and camp in the cool pine forest. What a relief. I've started thinking of this area as "High Camp" and recommend it to anyone wanting to camp in Sedona. There aren't any campgrounds up there, just great places to pull off and do what I call "primitive" car camping. I laugh a little at the term primitive though,
as I spent one night editing photos on my laptop!

The next few days bring me to the highlight of this leg of my journey. Tomorrow I start my Reiki master class! I am very excited to take this next step on my journey as a healer.

There is something very important I must do before by class starts tomorrow morning. In fact this is so important, I think I'll do it within the hour. SHOWER!!! I have to admit, I've been camping for 6 nights straight and I haven't showered for a week! I did fill up my sun shower Wednesday night and washed my hair, but I don't think this really counts as a shower. I have a great room in Sedona that I found on VRBO for the next three nights, and the shower looks absolutely blissful.

Like I said, the key to happiness in the desert is to stay near water. Even if that water comes out of a shower head!








No comments:

Post a Comment