Monday, August 30, 2010

On the Move


"Time to get up. Time to get goin'. What lies ahead I got no way of knowin'. But under my feet baby, grass is growin'. Time to get up. Time to get goin'."

These words
from Tom Petty keep popping into my head these past weeks. There is definitely no grass growing under my feet lately. In the past 2 1/2 weeks I haven't spent more than 3 nights in a row in one place. But oh the places I've seen! From 100 mile long lakes to 100 foot tall waterfalls. From hundreds of glacial lakes to the beautiful glaciers themselves sitting proudly on top of mountains, struggling against time and climate change.

I've made it to my final destination in Canada. Tofino and the Pacific Rim National Park. It seems like ages ago that I started this journey and camped in Montana on my first night. Now I find myself at the ocean, camping in a rainforest and hanging out in a groovy little surfing town.

Tofino is the main reason I ended up in Canada this summer. Eight years ago I came up here with a friend after attempting to climb Mt. Ranier
in Washington. I loved the vibe and natural beauty of this place so much I have wanted to come back ever since. It's taken 8 years, but I finally made it!

This is Kodi's first time at the beach. He wasn't sure about it at first, it was a little scary and it tasted funny. But now he's already a full-on beach hound. Chasing sea birds, splashing in the surf, playing frisbee on the beach, it's a dog's life!

I am grateful every day that life has presented me the opportunity to take this fabulous trip. The freedom of travel is intoxicating. Although lately I do find myself occasionally longing for a little less movement. I'm looking forward to settling down a little this fall and getting back to work. At the same time still enjoying what's left of my summer of freedom.

Fall is already in the air up here. Even though the days are still long, there is a hint of the changing season in the way the light falls.

Tomorrow I'm heading back to the states. I'll be on the 3:00 ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, WA.. I'm looking forward to being back in the US, but I'm mainly looking forward to seeing John. We are going to be spending a week together on
the Olympic Peninsula and in Seattle. John even booked us a nice little cabin in La Push, WA. where we can have a fire on the beach. Very romantic!

After that, I'll be off to visit friends and family in Washington and Oregon. Then back to Colorado. Back home. Refreshed and with my thirst for travel quenched, at least for a little while.

For now; "Time to get goin', what lies ahead I got no way of knowin'"











No comments:

Post a Comment